Exercise is great at any age, but during the teen years, it becomes even more critical. It helps teenagers grow stronger and healthier bones, muscles, and joints. Exercise also improves moods, self-esteem, personal appearance, sex drive, feelings about themselves, energy levels, sleeping patterns, memory skills, work performance, school results, and overall quality of life.
As a teen, it is essential to know the benefits of exercise and why it is needed for your body and health as you grow into adulthood. There are many different exercise activities which teens can choose. Some people prefer sports, others prefer walking or biking to get around, and some enjoy working out in a gym like MPower Fitness Coaching in Chino Hills, CA. The best type of exercise is the one that someone will stick with and continue over time.
Parents play an essential role in teenagers' physical activity choices because they often help them find opportunities for exercise, visit gyms for teens in Chino Hills, and drive them to sports practices. Teens can also help encourage their parents to exercise more.
Weight training is one of the most important types of exercise because it increases muscular strength and endurance. Muscle tissue is heavier than fat tissue, so adding muscle might assist youngsters in losing weight. Teenagers who lift weights are more likely to have stronger bones than those who do not weight train. Teenage boys are often interested in increasing muscle size, achieved with weight lifting exercises at least twice a week at gyms for teens chino hills.
When lifting weights, teenagers should perform a low or moderate number of reps with a weight that fatigues the muscles by the last repetition. This type of training helps them improve muscular endurance and may reduce their risk for injuries during other types of exercise.
Cardiovascular exercises strengthen the heart and lungs and help prevent diseases such as diabetes and high blood pressure. Teenagers who take part in high-impact activities such as running or jumping tend to have stronger bones. But too much high-impact exercise can lead to injuries. To avoid these types of injuries, teenagers should take part in a variety of exercises or join a fitness center like MPower Fitness Coaching.
There are many types of exercises that help strengthen bones and muscles for teenage boys and girls, such as:
- Power walking. One of the best cardiovascular exercises for teenagers is walking, which helps strengthen their bones and muscles without increasing their weight too much. It can also improve moods, sleep patterns, memory skills, school results, and overall quality of life.
- Swimming laps. Swimming is another low-impact activity that teenagers can use to strengthen their muscles and improve cardiovascular health.
- Playing a sport. Teenagers can also benefit from participating in physical activity as part of a team, such as playing soccer or basketball.
- Yoga. Yoga is an excellent way for teenagers to improve their body awareness, balance, and strength. It can also help them strengthen their muscles and increase flexibility without too much pressure on the joints.
- Tai chi. Another form of gentle exercise on the joints that benefits bone and muscle growth is tai chi, which combines a series of slow movements with breathing techniques.
- Working out at the gym. They can lift weights, ride stationary bikes, use elliptical machines and rowing machines, and participate in aerobic classes such as yoga or aerobics.
Regardless of the type of exercise teenagers take part in; they should avoid overtraining and increasing their risk for injuries. Proper muscle recovery is essential to prevent injuries while exercising.
Now that you know about the benefits of exercises for teens and some simple activities they can do to strengthen their bodies, here are some tips on how to get started:
- Figure out what types of exercise you enjoy and can do regularly. Teenagers need to find a physical activity they look forward to doing because that will help them stick with it for the long term.
- Try different exercises until you find one or more you enjoy doing. Try out several activities and see which ones you like best.
- Make a plan for how you will fit exercise into your schedule so that it is not an extra burden. For instance, you could work out with friends at lunchtime or participate in after-school sports so that you don't have to find time to do your exercise activities alone.
- Figure out how much you need to do each day or week. It is best to aim for at least 30 minutes of exercise, but doing more than 60 minutes per day has even more significant benefits.
- Start with something straightforward like walking or running around the block. Over time you can build up to different kinds of exercises.
- You could also try joining a sports league if you aren't already part of a team.
Parents can also help to make exercise a positive experience for teenagers by:
- Building family traditions that involve physical activity, such as going on family walks or bike rides after dinner or playing games in the park.
- Taking part in activities together helps build strong bonds between parents and teens.
- Planning rewards after completing a certain amount of exercise, such as going to the movies or relaxing at home for an hour. This can help motivate teenagers and increase their self-esteem when they achieve challenging goals.
- Encouraging teens to do their exercise activities before doing anything else will help them start on the right foot each day. Physical activity can provide a sense of calm and relaxation that allows teenagers to feel more ready to take on the day.
- Offering to help teens find an exercise program they enjoy if they have trouble figuring out what activities to do on their own. Having parents involved in assisting teens to get started with their daily exercises can significantly impact teenagers' success.
- Encouraging teens to set realistic goals when they are starting with a new exercise program. This can help them stay positive and focused rather than becoming overwhelmed or giving up too quickly.
By finding simple ways to fit in 30 minutes of physical activity each day, teenagers can take advantage of the benefits that exercise offers. With some motivation, planning, and support, teenagers can find fun activities they enjoy while having healthier bodies.
You can also join us at MPower Fitness Coaching, a gym for teens in chino hills!